This is because it will be automatically incremented by BIND every time there's an update, and trying to follow the usual convention would be nothing but an exercise in futility.
(This is one of the reasons it's desireable to have a separate dynamic subdomain.) Remember to kill -HUP named after making these changes.
Before starting things up, I to added details about the DNS/DHCP server to the zone files directly: $ORIGIN 5.168.192.
RFC compliant dynamic DNS (not DDNS based on external updates like a HTTP channel) can be complicated to troubleshoot.
I also added “allow-update ;” to allow Dynamic DNS updates for these zone (more on that later). ( 2012040233 ; serial 900 ; refresh (15 minutes) 900 ; retry (15 minutes) 604800 ; expire (1 week) 3600 ; minimum (1 hour) ) NS local.
I provide a location for the zone files at authoritative; ddns-updates on; ddns-update-style interim; ddns-rev-domainname ""; option domain-name "aohq.local"; option domain-name-servers 192.168.5.200; option ntp-servers ntp.org; ignore client-updates; update-static-leases on; use-host-decl-names on; include "/etc/bind/rndc.key"; zone aohq.local. subnet 192.168.5.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 by default, and associated it with the appropriate zone for DDNS updates. eneth I was able to test that DHCP was working by connecting a new system to the network to receive a static IP address.
The allow-update line controls which machines can make updates - in the example above, only local connections from the nameserver itself are allowed (we'll cover allowing remote connections later).
It is very important when troubleshooting dynamic updates on Unix BIND or MS DNS Servers to have DNS logging enabled, esp.
Note that, with the configuration given above, you must run the command from the nameserver itself.
If you're running nsupdate interactively, you'd do something like: be specified; nsupdate exits with an error if you leave it out.
I started installing required packages for BIND9: I use a max-ncache-ttl (max negative cache time-to-live) of 300 as we’ve often had issues with our DNS server caching the negative existence of a domain name for far too long when we’re trying to add a new sub-domain to our system.
Next, I edited I added “forwarders ;” to override the server-wide forwarders as these zones are internal/local.
You might also want to look in your syslogs after doing so to make sure there were no errors with the new configuration and/or domain.